Robert Van Arnam
Raleigh, NC P: 919.981.4055 F: 919.981.4300 firstname.lastname@example.org
A company’s technology and intellectual property rights are often its most significant assets. When those assets need to be protected or are threatened by litigation, Rob Van Arnam can help. He represents clients of all sizes from emerging technology clients and entrepreneurs to large retail and manufacturing companies and financial institutions by providing practical advice and business solutions. Rob is the chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Section, as well as a co-chair of the Data Protection & Cybersecurity Practice. He previously served on the firm’s board of directors.
Rob is an experienced intellectual property lawyer who focuses his practice on litigation involving patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. He has litigated high-stakes IP cases throughout the country and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), including through trial and appeal. He is adept at understanding clients’ IP assets and business goals and providing practical strategies to achieve those goals. Clients in a variety of industries, including software, telecommunications, life sciences, ag-chemical, firearms and financial services, have used Rob to help protect, license and grow their intellectual property, enforce their rights and defend against suits by competitors and non-practicing entities (NPEs).
In addition to his IP practice, Rob counsels clients regarding the protection of data, and the preparation of privacy and cybersecurity policies, and investigates and represents clients in data breach matters and litigation. Rob also advises clients on matters relating to advertising and anti-counterfeiting and on matters involving the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the International Trade Commission (ITC).
Prior to joining Williams Mullen, Rob practiced IP and antitrust law with a national law firm and worked for the U.S. Department of Justice as a special assistant in the Office of Intelligence Policy and the Office of International Affairs.
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Patent Litigation, Patent Law, Copyright Law and Intellectual Property Litigation (2014-present). He has been named Best Lawyers® Raleigh “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation – Patent Law (2016, 2020) and for Copyright Law (2018). He has been recognized by Chambers USA for Intellectual Property Law (2013-present), named among North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” by Business North Carolina (2011-2015, 2017-present) and listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers (2016-present). In addition, he has been named one of the “Top Attorneys in North Carolina” by Charlotte Magazine.
Rob earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Dickinson College and his Master’s degree in international law from American University. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of North Carolina School of Law, where he was a member of the Holderness National Moot Court Team and the North Carolina Journal of International Law & Commercial Regulation.
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Data Protection & Cybersecurity
- Trade Secrets, Employee Mobility and Restrictive Covenants
- IP Due Diligence & Opinions
- Unmanned Systems
- Software & Electronic Commerce
- Emerging Technology
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation
- Alcoholic Beverage Control
- Firearms Industry
- Community Banks
- Emerging Companies
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Law (J.D.)
- American University (M.A.)
- Dickinson College (B.A.)
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Chambers USA – Intellectual Property (2013-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Patent Litigation, Patent Law, Copyright Law, Intellectual Property Litigation (2014-present)
- Best Lawyers® – Raleigh “Lawyer of the Year,” Copyright Law (2018), Patent Law (2021)
- Best Lawyers® – Raleigh “Lawyer of the Year,” Litigation – Patent (2016, 2020)
- Business North Carolina “Legal Elite” (2011-2015, 2017-present)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers – (2016-present)
- Charlotte Magazine – “Top Attorneys in North Carolina”